Pages

Sunday, March 26, 2017

HAUNTINGS



HAUNTINGS!

2 Tim 4:14-15
14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
15 Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.

           This is Paul’s second and final letter to young Timothy. It is his final communiqué recorded for us before his execution. He is in prison and making simple requests such as “please bring my coat and something to read but especially my Bible.” He is uncomfortable and alone with his thoughts. Those thoughts eventually bend toward haunting images of the past.

           Alexander was likely the man that the Paul was obliged to excommunicate in First Timothy 1:19 and 20 where we read “Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.” The memory of difficult days gone by still haunted Paul in his final days.

           Scars testify to us that wounds heal. Scars do not hurt us any more unless we sit quietly and remember the trauma that caused them. Paul urged us to forget the past and focus on God’s present purpose and future blessings.

Phil 3:13-14
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: [I’ve not yet grasped what I’m reaching for] but this one thing I do, forgetting [to lose out of mind; to neglect] those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

           Are you haunted by past injuries that keep you from today’s purposes and tarnish future blessings? Begin now to intentionally “neglect” those thoughts and replace them with new ones. Paul’s final focus was his meeting with the Lord.

2 Tim 4:8
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Dear Lord, replace the haunting of the past with the challenge of the present and the joy of the future. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment