Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

INTERESTING TAKE ON RETIREMENT



INTERESTING TAKE ON RETIREMENT!

Luke 12:16-21
16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

The Greek word that is translated “bestow” in verse 18 is an interesting word. We may gather from the ending of the English word “stow” that the word means “storage” but the Greek word is sunago which means “to gather together; to collect or convene.” It forms the basis of another Greek word sunagoge which specifically is the basis of the word synagogue which is a collection of people.

It is clear that the rich man envisioned not only a life of leisure but a life of revelry with his friends. It was retirement time, party time, a time when labor ceased and fruit bearing ended. It is, perhaps, this mindset that was so troublesome to Jesus.

Retirement is not well spoken of in Scripture!

The Apostle Paul was not retired when he died, he was restrained. He did say he had fought a good fight and had finished his course (the period of time assigned to a priest for service) but had his life not been cut short there is no doubt that his course might have been extended.

Caleb asked for a mountain at age 85!

Josh 14:9-13
9 And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.
10 And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, [he was 40 years old when Moses sent him to spy out the land] even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
11 As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
13 And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.

What part of a surrendered life may we rightfully withhold?

Billy Graham, now in his 90’s and with Parkinson’s disease, is still involved in ministry. Mother Teresa died at 87, with 3 garments to her name, and $100.00 in the bank. Herself feeble and ill, she continued feeding and loving the disenfranchised to the very end.

If God has blessed you with more than enough, He means for it to be distributed and not stored!

Ex 16:17-20
17 And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less.
18 And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating.
19 And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning.
20 Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning, and it bred worms, and stank: and Moses was wroth with them.

Dear Lord, let me, like Paul, press toward the mark for the prize of your high calling. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment