Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

EXERCISE



EXERCISE!

1 Tim 4:7-8
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

           Diet and exercise seems to be sweeping our culture. I can hardly count the number of sure cure mixtures designed to burn fat and make one healthy and beautiful! I have a new smart watch that tracks my steps. On Labor day, which I thought was a day to do labor, my watch said I climbed 18 flights of stairs. Actually I mowed the ace and trimmed a number of trees. It’s still exercise and, yes, it felt good.

           Two words for “exercise” are used in the above verses. Well, actually only one! The word is gumnazo which literally means “to practice naked” as one would train for the Greek games and gumnasia which means “training” but sounds a lot like our English word gymnasium!

           The exercise that Paul recommends is the exercise unto godliness. The Greeks trained so that they might win a chaplet of leaves which would soon wilt and turn brown. Because godliness is not automatic and degrades with lack of use, we are urged to exert effort to accomplish it.

1 Cor 9:25-27
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Dear Lord, let me train hard so as to accomplish the goal of godliness. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment