Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

YEA THOUGH I WALK


YEA, THOUGH I WALK



Ps 23:1-4

23 The Lord  is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.



           Everything was going well through the first three verses of Psalm 23. The Shepherd was a good shepherd in fact He is the best! The sheep have no felt need that is not supplied. The pastures are green and the water is still and cool. Contentment prevails so why would anyone leave this place to pass through the dark valley?



           Suddenly the sheep are led through a valley but not just any valley. This is the dreaded shadow of death. Verse 4 is the central verse in this entire chapter. The focus changes here! Suddenly the shepherd is not “before” the sheep but “beside” the sheep. He has drawn closer to give clear guidance and to calm fears. You can hear Him whisper “we are no longer in the pasture but it will be alright. I am here with you. Do not be afraid.”



           Two instruments are applied in the dark valley. The rod is a heavy club with which the Shepherd can stun or kill an attacking beast. The very sight of it causes the sheep to take courage. Nothing shall attack unless it first defeats the Shepherd! The staff was the Shepherd’s crook which would prod and assist the individual sheep. At night the sheep would pass beneath the crook and be counted and examined. The sheep knew that to be counted meant that he was valuable to the Shepherd. The Shepherd would not allow the sheep to be lost.



           Today you may be asked to walk through the “vale of deep darkness.” You may learn of some fearful illness in your body or you may be challenged with a circumstance where winning is unlikely. The Shepherd is there. Huddle close to him and feel the folds of His robe as you walk along. Keep moving because there is an end to this valley. Yes, it is dark, but the Shepherd knows the way and will not let you be lost or suffer damage. Verses 5 and 6 take place on the other side of the valley!



Ps 23:5-6

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord  for ever.



Dear Shepherd of the sheep, today you may lead some through the valley. Keep them safe by rod and staff. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment