Pages

Monday, September 21, 2015

GOD GRADUALLY REVEALS OUR DUTY


GOD GRADUALLY REVEALS OUR DUTY!



Acts 9:3-6

3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.



           I’m a big-picture guy and one who needs to know details. That quirk of personality finds me often impatient when seeking to know God’s direction for my life. Paul gave voice to my often-asked question: “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?” Please tell me now and make my future plain!



           Jesus’ answer to Paul was simply to get up and go into the next city. That did not answer the big picture question and it did not give many details. This is how God often reveals His will. If you want to know God’s will then just take the next step forward. Step by step God reveals to man his duty.



           Obedience, then, is always our next duty. Like a baseball player who is called out at home plate even though he appeared to have made a home run, be sure you do not fail to tag each base along the way. Be deliberate and methodical in your obedience.



           The passion to escape is strong but Jesus told Paul to simply continue on his same journey. He was to go into the city. What city? Damascus was still Damascus but Paul had changed. It is not always a new environment that we need. The familiar path is changed because we have been changed. Saul became Paul and he was about to learn God’s purpose but he would learn it gradually.



Acts 26:16

16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;



Dear Lord, help us not to be anxious about how slowly you lead us. Help us to simply follow step by step. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment