Pages

Monday, September 7, 2015

AFTER GOD'S OWN HEART


AFTER GOD’S OWN HEART!



Acts 13:21-22

21 And afterward they desired a king: and God gave unto them Saul the son of Cis, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, by the space of forty years.

22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.



Ps 78:71-72

71 From following the ewes great with young he brought him to feed Jacob his people, and Israel his inheritance.

72 So he fed them according to the integrity of his heart; and guided them by the skilfulness of his hands.



           David’s private and intimate moments were flawed! The most notable flaw was his sin with his neighbor’s wife, Bathsheba. In that illicit escapade he blatantly disobeyed Exodus 20: 14 and 17. So just what did God mean when He said David was a man after His own heart?



           David was a shepherd leader because the Lord was his shepherd (Psalm 23:1). He would be sensitive to the ewes great with young and would lead them tenderly to cool water and green pastures. Although he was a warrior, he was more. His civil government was a government of peace and prosperity where the people would benefit from godly leadership.



           David sought and maintained a personal relationship with the Lord. He said in Psalm 143:6I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land.” David longed to be personally and closely related to God. This relationship caused him to assume some of the character and heart of God.



           David sought the guidance of God! He said: “Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.” Ps 143:8



Dear Lord, I long to be a man after your own heart! I know my private and intimate moments are flawed. Let me lead like a shepherd. I stretch forth my hands to you. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment