Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

FOCUS YOUR THINKING!


FOCUS YOUR THINKING!


Phil 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


          I can sometimes be an old grump! Sometimes it lasts a day or longer and yesterday was one of those days. I had to apologize at least once! My problem was “stinking thinking.” All the little frustrations of life gathered themselves together and invaded my mind at one time like gnats. Now, don’t tell me you have not had one of those days because I think I am rather normal. Thankfully, today is a new day.

          Paul gave the Philippians some wonderful advice which I should have taken yesterday. He listed some specific things upon which to focus our thinking. Here is that list with expanded definitions.

          True! Genuine things with nothing concealed. Someone once did a survey on worry that indicated that only 8 percent of the things people worried about were legitimate matters of concern! The other 92 percent were either imaginary, never happened, or involved matters over which the people had no control anyway.

          Honest! The Greek is semnos which actually means honorable. Those subjects which cause us to be good people, good citizens and good friends.

          Just!  ‎Hosa ‎... ‎dikaia‎. Whatsoever is agreeable to justice and righteousness. All that ye owe to God, to your neighbor, and to yourselves.

          Pure! Those things that are chaste in mind and body!

          Lovely! Those thing that are amiable, friendly, good-natured and agreeable.

          Things that are of good report! "Of good report" means "worth talking about, appealing."  Jesus said: “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” Matt 12:36

          Virtue and praise! Virtue is the Greek: arĂȘte which means “manliness.” The word praise here means commendable. So these are things calculated to promote the general good of mankind, and are thus praiseworthy.

Dear Lord, as I look at this list, yesterday was not a good day for me. Please help me to focus my thinking on good things today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment