Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

RICH WITH FRIENDS!


RICH WITH FRIENDS!


1 Sam 18:1-4
1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.
2 And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house.
3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.
4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.


In the Christmas classic, It’s a Wonderful Life, the closing scene finds George and family standing behind a wicker basket full of donated cash. Zuzu notices a jingling bell on the Christmas tree and says: “Look Daddy, teacher says every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings.” Suddenly, atop the cash in the basket, appears a copy of Tom Sawyer with this inscription: "Dear George, remember no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings, Love Clarence."

I’m rich with friends! I sit here this morning thinking that I simply must respond to a request to meet an old high school friend “half way.” We were supposed to link up a few weeks ago but time and circumstance didn’t permit it. Barry played tight end on our high school football team and I played right tackle. I haven’t seen him since 1966 and suddenly I learn that he lives nearby. I must make time for a reunion.

I have global friends! I have invitations to visit friends in Costa Rica, northern Brazil, Australia, Scotland and England. If I accept one invitation it means I must reject the others. All are dear friends. I’m making plans to visit England and Scotland.

Central to the idea of friendship is loyalty. Through good times and bad, friends are bound together. Associated with this loyalty is sharing of joys and sorrows. Friendship causes both parties to seek the company and welfare of the other. Friends do not avoid friends nor act in ways that cause damage. Are you a true friend?

John 15:13-15
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Dear Lord, thank you for being my friend! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment