Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

DON’T BE DECEIVED!


DON’T BE DECEIVED!


Eph 4:14-15
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:


          The increase of information has increased the possibility of being deceived. The idea presented in verse 14 is that of being blown around in a storm of conflicting ideas. Which are true and will fill my sails toward my destination? Which will capsize my vessel with lies? We need God-given discernment.

          The truth welcomes questions and investigation. The truth will set us free (John 8:32). I fear that much of what produces fear in us is not truth at all. Deceit is designed to produce a calculated response and even panic. The truth is that God is still very much in control. We need not fear.

          Spiritual maturity (being no more children) requires personal responsibility! Our actions and behavior should be the result of truth instead of cultural consensus. A thing is not right because a majority of people think so. It is right because it is right. Do not follow religious novelties.

          Spiritual maturity (being no more children) requires consistency and stedfastness. Truth has sure boundaries! Those who follow truth are solid. They have developed the power to say “No” with decision and “Yes” with calculated concentration. Those who follow truth are predictable.

          Spiritual maturity (being no more children) requires that truth be joined with love. “Little children do not know how to blend truth and love. They think that if you love someone, you must shield him from the truth if knowing the truth will hurt him. It is a mark of maturity when we are able to share the truth with our fellow Christians, and do it in love.” (Warren Wiersbe)

A client went to his attorney and said, "I am going into a business deal with a man I do not trust. I want you to frame an airtight contract that he can't break, which will protect me from any sort of mischief he may have on his mind." The attorney replied, "Listen, my friend. There is no group of words in the English language that will take the place of plain honesty between men, which will fully protect either of you if you plan to deceive each other."

Dear Lord, give me discernment of the truth! Make me wary of deception. When I share truth, let me do it in love. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment