Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

The Shadow

Friday, June 27, 2014

THE SHADOW

Psalm 23:4 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

     In the darkest and most trying times, God is near! I am told by those who should know, that the valley of the shadow of death is a ravine overhung by high precipitous cliffs, filled with dense forests, and well calculated to inspire dread to the timid, and afford a covert to beasts of prey. But my mind is not on the valley -- but the shadow!

     I have stood by too many bedsides overshadowed by death. Swirling within that shadow is a curious mixture of hope, anguish, anger, and resignation. The shadow hides the light but can never hide the Son! 

     Jesus, the Great Shepherd, never sends us through this valley alone! He does not promise to meet us on the other side where the sun shines bright and the soft grass soothes our feet. No, He travels the danger with us. His instruments of comfort Re always present. Fear travels also but Jesus is always challenging fear.

     What we know is always in conflict with what we fear! We know that He will never leave us nor forsake us but we fear He might. 

Psalm 23:6 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. 

Dear Lord, some of your lambs are traveling a dark valley this morning. Touch them with your rod and staff. Murmur encouragement to them. Fill their cups to overflowing. AMEN

Ron Abbott
Calvary Baptist Church
Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment