Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

CARING IS THE KEY TO UNITY!


CARING IS THE KEY TO UNITY!


1 Cor 12:25-27
25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.


          The Greek word merimnao which is translated care in our text literally means “to be anxious about!” The idea is that I am anxious about someone’s welfare. This restlessness prompts me to charitable actions. If there is a need, I am prompted to share or to give. If there is a wound, I am prompted to bind it up pouring in whatever medicine available. This kind of care is best pictured by the actions of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:33) who stopped to render aid. There the Greek word compassion is even stronger.

          The Lord has given us a key to unity within that diverse body which is the church. Made up of many members from all walks of life, the church moves forward as one unit because of mutual care. The quiet “anxiety” that we have one for another keeps us focused on others instead of ourselves. If we ever lose the “care” we are in danger of losing the unity.

          Caring comes from above! It is not emotional or intellectual but spiritual. The kind of caring that Paul is talking about comes as a gift from the Holy Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23). If I want unity in the church then I will have and practice caring. But that kind of caring is super-human. Erwin W. Lutzer said: “Christianity demands a level of caring that transcends human inclinations.” If I am to be a caring person then I must “keep myself in the love of God” (Jude 21). It is God’s love flowing through me which prompts my caring actions. I can’t even boast of my good works.

          The kind of caring exhibited by the Good Samaritan always costs something. It cost him time, convenience and money. At a chaplain’s conference in Dallas, I learned that first responders and primary care givers can become overwhelmed and burned out at catastrophic events like the bombing in Oklahoma City or the fall of the twin towers in New York. Caring is draining and – since it comes from God – must be renewed by close association with the Lord. First Peter 5:8 urges us to cast all our care (anxiety) upon the Lord because He cares for us (is anxious toward us).


Jesus, Lover Of My Soul

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?
Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall-Lo! on Thee I cast my care;
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,
Hoping against hope I stand, dying, and behold, I live.

Dear Lord, minister divine caring to thy church today. Let them respond with caring one for another. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment