Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH!


THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH!


John 16:12-13
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.


          Merriam-Webster says that “truth” is “the real state of things.” Oh, how far we sometimes drift from the real state of things. Truth is much more than just an assembly of facts because facts can lie if they are organized in a certain way. No, truth is the real state of things.

          A recently popular movie line tells us that “we can’t handle the truth;” at least not in totality and not in huge chunks. Even the sun rises slowly and gradually and does not burst on the horizon like a camera flash. Jesus knew, in verse 12, that his disciples could not handle the whole truth – all the truth – and nothing but the truth. It would be revealed by His Holy Spirit little by little in our daily walk.

          Truth impacts relationships that are built upon presumption. A relationship should be built upon truth without make-up and lipstick. We can only handle the unvarnished truth with love. Love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8). Through the eyes of love, the blemishes are seen but instantly dismissed as unimportant. God sees us truthfully. He sees us in the real state of things and loves us anyway. The old familiar hymn illustrates this well.


Just as I am, without one plea,
          but that thy blood was shed for me,
          and that thou bidst me come to thee,
          O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
          to rid my soul of one dark blot,
          to thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
          O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
          wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
          because thy promise I believe,
          O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thy love unknown
          hath broken every barrier down;
          now, to be thine, yea thine alone,
          O Lamb of God, I come, I come.


Dear Lord, thank you for seeing in me the real state of things and loving me anyway! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment