Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

HOW CAN MAN UNDERSTAND HIS WAY?


HOW CAN MAN UNDERSTAND HIS WAY?


Prov 20:24
24 Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?

Prov 16:9
9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.


A fresh day is laid out before us. We have not travelled this way before and we do not know what is in store. We rise sleepily and make our plans but it is God who directs our steps. What guidelines are there to help us know God’s way?


1. God’s written Word is foundational in knowing His will!


Ps 119:9
9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.


A way has direction and leads somewhere. The word is like a compass which always points to true north. We cannot know God’s mysterious will until we are willing to obey His known and written will.

 
2. We must make ourselves willing to do whatever He says!


John 12:25-26
25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Simply put, man wanting to GO must be willing to STAY; a man wanting to STAY must be willing to GO.

 
3. We must watch for providential circumstances!


Eccl 9:11
11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.


“God gave you a lot of leading when he gave you a head.” (Dawson Trautman)

 
4. Don’t overlook prayer as an obvious help!


James 1:5
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

James 5:13
13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

 
5. Seek Godly advice!


Prov 11:14
14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

I have discovered, in over 40 years of ministry that wise and godly advice from multiple sources generally agree. I am then able to determine a course of action.

 
6. Is there peace in your heart regarding the matter?


Col 3:15
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

“Through prayer, the study of the Word and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge. If my mind is at peace and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. I have found this method always effective in trivial or important decisions.” (George Mueller)

Dear Lord, I do not know what this day and this week will bring to me but I trust in you to guide me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment