Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

POWER!


POWER!

Luke 24:49
49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Acts 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Rev 11:3-6
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.


          In both Luke and Acts the Greek word for power is dunamis which means both ability and abundance. In Luke Jesus promised power “from on high.” He obviously was referring to heavenly ability and heavenly abundance. The work in which these disciples would be engaged was God’s work and they would need God’s power. He urged them not to begin without it; not to “jump the gun.” By the way, to jump the gun is a reference to a runner leaving his starting blocks before the starter’s gun is discharged. Either he is disqualified or the race must be restarted. Jesus said to wait for it!

          I can’t tell you how many times I have tried to proceed without God’s power. How foolish it is to think I could accomplish God’s work with just brains, muscle and money. Yet today we see many pastors and churches replacing dunamis with technology and marketing. Now, these are indeed powerful but limited.

          In researching the reference in Revelation, I learned that the word “power” is not in the original manuscripts. It was added in italics to make the text more readable. It actually reads: “I will give unto my two witnesses…” The idea is that God would give them whatever they needed. The word for “give” is didomi and means “to bestow or to set forth on an adventure.” When God sends his power simple acts are dynamic and simple words cut to the soul.

2 Cor 12:9-10
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

          As you might expect, the word for “strong” is a derivative of the word dunamis. It is the word dunatos meaning “powerful.”

Dear Lord, today we will be engaging a spiritual enemy force. Give to us your power from on high. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment