Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

COME THOU HEAVY LADEN!


COME THOU HEAVY LADEN!

Gal 6:5
5 For every person will have to bear his own load [of oppressive faults].
AMP

Matt 11:28-30
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
KJV


          We all carry our very own load of oppressive faults which are personal and specific. Each day we shoulder them soldierly and march toward the days duties. We hope nobody will notice as we trudge along like Pilgrim in John Bunyan’s classic.

          Many are not aware that the self-incrimination from a wounded conscience, fear of rejection and worry for the future greatly effects our relationship with others. We gravitate to others who are like us. Many members of oppressive and condemning churches are there because they can’t forgive themselves. They are miserable and so they find and join a congregation of the unforgiving. They soothe themselves by pretending some superiority over others who sin differently.

          There is no escaping these burdens because the problem is me and not my geography. I am just as miserable in the city as I am in the country. The answer is to drop my load; to cast my heavy burden upon the Lord who promises to sustain me. This is easier said than done!

          Pilgrim carried his growing load over mountains and through swamps until finally he reached the foot of the cross where he found Jesus. This small poem describes his encounter.

"Thus far did I come laden with my sin,
Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in,
Till I came hither. What a place is this!
Must here be the beginning of my bliss!
Must here the burden fall from off my back!
Must here the strings that bound it to me crack!
Blest cross! blest sepulchre! blest rather be
The Man that there was put to shame for me!"

Dear Lord, let me not stubbornly continue to carry my heavy load. Let me yield to your offer of relief. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment