Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

LOSS!


LOSS!


Phil 3:7-9
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:


          Three times in these verses Paul uses the word “loss” which is the Greek word zemia. This is not referring to something that is lost through being misplaced and forgotten but precious things that have been taken by violence. Here the apostle admits a feeling of suffering damage and yet through it all he has found something better to take the place of all that has been lost.

          I was talking to a friend yesterday who is facing the possible loss of his home! Without sharing too many details, I can tell you that it is more than distressing. Why would God allow such a thing to happen? Why does He not step in to rescue us at such times? Silence is often our only answer. God sits in His heaven and does what He wants to do without feeling obligated to explain it all to us. We are forced to trust his nature when we can’t see the logic in it all.

          When Elijah told the king it would not rain again unless he said so, God told him to run away and hide beside the brook Cherith (1 Kings 17:3-5). God would command the ravens to bring him bread and flesh both morning and evening. Elijah was safe and slowly settled into a comfortable dependence upon God and the ravens. Gradually the brook dried up because it hadn’t rained. It was time to move. Elijah suddenly suffered the loss of his safe retreat and regular meals. God’s answer was a widow! By whatever strange means God was committed to taking care of Elijah – and of us.

          Paul had learned to view his past privileges and treasure as “dung!” We have cleaned up this word when we speak in gentle company by referring to it as anything thrown to the dogs. It is refuse and garbage but the actual meaning is ordure or excrement. Paul had found something better in Christ.


I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

Dear Lord, let me see all my treasure in the same way that Paul saw his. Let me understand that some of the things you allow me to lose stand in the way of gaining you! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment