Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

SWADDLING CLOTHES!

SWADDLING CLOTHES!

Luke 2:7 KJV
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

Luke 2:8-12 KJV
8 And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

          For most of my life I have wondered just what swaddling clothes were. No one seemed to know. It was just a part of the lovely Christmas story that seemed to be taken for granted. I thought it might be some crude diaper because all babies do what all babies do! At other times I was convinced swaddling clothes referred to some kind of blanket. I may have been partly right. In any case the word “swaddle” did not seem to be a noun but an action word. Swaddle was something a mother did to or for her baby and not just a thing. Nelson’s Bible Dictionary gives us some insight.

SWADDLING BAND
A long, narrow strip of cloth used to wrap a newborn baby. To swaddle a child was to wrap an infant in strips of cloth, much like narrow bandages. This was believed to ensure the correct early development of the limbs. Thus, swaddling was a mark of parental love and care, while the need for swaddling symbolized the humble, dependent position of the newborn child.
(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Copyright © 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)

          In all the crowd of strangers in Bethlehem how would the startled shepherds recognize the newborn Savior? The angel of the Lord gave two clues to the baby’s true identity. First he would be tightly wrapped in strips of cloth. This was a common practice of new mothers who loved their children. Second, he would be lying in a manger. Mary and Joseph provided what they could for their son and his first cradle may have been a feeding trough carved into a block of limestone for such is the scene under the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. But Mary had torn strips of cloth either hastily or ahead of time and wrapped her baby snuggly. It was an act of mother love.

          Away In a Manger

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing, the Baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes;
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray;
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
And fit us for heaven to live with Thee there.

Dear Jesus, swaddle me today and restrict my movements in love. Let me rest in Thee, dependent upon Thee for all my care. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment