Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

HE IS PATIENT WITH ME AND YOU!

HE IS PATIENT WITH ME AND YOU!

Ps 103:13-14
13 Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.
14 For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

          In spite of, or perhaps because of, my nearly forty years in pastoral ministry, I often find myself possessed of a growing impatience with people. I see where their decisions are leading them. There is a familiar but painful pattern to their behavior. I can’t see why they can’t see. I grow tired of comforting them in the pain they have brought upon themselves. I sometimes despair of warning them.

          The root of the word “pitieth” in this verse is Hebrew word for “to fondle.” The implication is that God loves like a father holding his baby. He softly cradles the child in his strong arms and is tender. He is aware of our frame and knows that we are dust. His hope for us is high but his expectation considers our weakness. He is patient with us. Psalm 37:26 tells us that he is ever merciful. I’m glad that he is.

          Referring to Messiah, the Bible says: “A bruised reed shall he not break.” (Matthew 12:20)  Now, a reed is symbolic of that which is weak and feeble. Barnes’ Notes on this verse has the following to say.

Verse 20. [A bruised reed ...] The reed is an emblem of feebleness, as well as of fickleness or want of stability, Matt 11:7. A bruised, broken reed is an emblem of the poor and oppressed. It means that he would not oppress the feeble and poor, as victorious warriors and conquerors did. It is also an expressive emblem of the soul broken and contrite on account of sin; weeping and mourning for transgression. He will not break it; that is, he will not be severe, unforgiving, and cruel. He will heal it, pardon it, and give it strength.
(From Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Loving and patient Father, today I will meet some who will disappoint me. Help me to give to them the kindness and patience that I require. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment