Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

DON’T FRUSTRATE THE GRACE OF GOD!

DON’T FRUSTRATE THE GRACE OF GOD!

Gal 2:20-21 KJV
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The Greek word translated “frustrate” means “to disesteem, neutralize, violate, disannul, and bring to naught or to reject.”  These are strong words but it points out Paul’s thinking regarding the struggle between grace and works. In verse 20 he declared himself dead along with Christ at His crucifixion and yet alive and animated at and by His resurrection. He was alive – but not of himself.

Paul’s life now has a new life force. It is faith of and in the Son of God. All the blessings purchased on Calvary’s cross he was now enjoying free simply by receiving them as a gift. He would not frustrate, set aside or reject this grace by trying to keep a volume of laws and rules.

The confusion in the mind of the “worker for salvation” is that he knows he is unworthy of Christ’s gifts. He feels his sin and carries guilt constantly. He never feels clean enough. This is not a bad thing if it is applied properly. But the “worker for salvation” buckles down and tries harder and harder to win God’s approval. He never succeeds by this method.

God’s approval of us is gained through the working of His Son. He approves of His Son and all that the Son takes unto himself. If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Our righteousness is His righteousness and not our own. In Romans chapter 7 Paul describes clearly the turmoil of spirit when a man decides to live sinless by his own efforts.

Rom 7:19-24 KJV
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Phil 2:13 KJV
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Father, let me abandon my struggle today and surrender to your working in me that I might do your good pleasure. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment