Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

CHALLENGING MEDIOCRITY!

CHALLENGING MEDIOCRITY!

1 Tim 4:12-16 KJV
12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Timid Timothy had a passionate mentor in the Apostle Paul. From these verses we may gather that Timothy was intimidated by those older and more experienced. Paul urged him to be wholehearted in the exercise of his resources and gifts.

As a youth, and struggling with the call of God upon my life, I was a constant source of frustration for my pastor. Not long before his death he confessed to me that he once said: “The only way Ron Abbott will ever be closer to God is to grow an inch taller!” I suppose I deserved that because I was so wishy-washy in my practice of my faith. Now I am reaping that harvest and it is bitter.

Today there is a general slide into mediocrity and those who are average in their faith seem like spiritual giants. Worship has been deposed by entertainment and effort has been replaced by ease. Commitment has fallen to convenience. As a young preacher I was trained to withstand opposition and was prepared for martyrdom but I feel ill prepared me for apathy.

1. Mediocrity must be challenged by study!

1 Tim 4:13
13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2. Depth must be developed through meditation!

1 Tim 4:15
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

Meditate = “to take care of, or to revolve in the mind.”

3. Commitment requires a death to selfishness!

Paul said: “give thyself wholly to them.” Don’t just dip your toes in the water. Dive into the middle of Christianity. Give it all you’ve got!

When I Survey The Wondrous Cross by Isaac Watts

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small:
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Dear Lord, the frustration I feel results from knowing that I too am not as committed as I should be. Forgive me and help me to be more wholehearted. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment