Pages

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

THROUGH THE PRISM OF TEARS

 

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

 

THROUGH THE PRISM OF TEARS

 

John 20:10-16

10 Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. KJV

 

          Some things can only be seen through the prism of tears. I’ve lived long enough to affirm this. Its truth answers every question as to the ways of God. The idea that good people suffer, and “bad” people do not can only be understood in this way.

 

          Mary Magdalene lingered after the others had gone home. How could she just return home after seeing the empty tomb. No, there must be more, but she could not see it yet. What had happened? Unable to see it through reason, she began to weep, and through the tears it became clearer. She saw what she had not noticed before. Two men in blazing white garments sat on the stone shelf of the tomb, one at the head and one at the foot where Jesus had lain.

 

          The tears must also have cleansed her hearing for now she hears them speak. “Woman, why are you weeping?” Now, we know this to be an almost cruel question to ask in a graveyard, but there was a tenderness to it that made it comforting. They asked not about the weeping but about the reason for it! Slowly she began to understand that the reason for weeping had been defeated.

 

So put your hope in God alone

Take courage in His power to save

Completely and forever won

By Christ emerging from the grave

 

I will wait for You, I will wait for You

On Your Word, I will rely

I will wait for You, surely wait for You

'Til my soul is satisfied

 

I Will Wait for You (Psalm 130)

Keith & Kristyn Getty

 

Lord, when I can’t understand my pain, wash my eyes with tears. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment