Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2022

WITH PROMISE

 

Father's Day, Sunday, June 19, 2022

 

WITH PROMISE

 

Eph 6:1-4

6 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

 

          One of my earliest memories of dad was long ago. I was just a little guy, able to sleep on that flat spot just behind the seat and under the back window of our old car. Seat belts were a future thing and even car seats were just two “S” hooks with a cloth seat. The family was taking one of our famous vacations “down home” from Cincinnati to Tennessee. In my sleep, I thought I heard my older brother say “we’re home” so, I opened the door and stepped out – onto the road which was zipping by at cruising speed.

 

          It was a rude awakening, and a bit painful as well. I slid on my belly like Superman for an unknown number of feet and when I stood up, I saw our old car continuing on with its red taillights glowing in the shrinking distance. My first thought was that they didn’t even know I had stepped out! I began searching for my lost shoe when I saw the car take a U-turn.

 

          Suddenly my father was by my side, and he scooped me up and carried me in his arms. My next waking moment in the hospital where the doctor had said that my chubby condition had possibly saved me from any major injuries beyond the road rash on my belly.

 

          Today I honor my father who carried his chubby and sleepy-eyed son in horror. Many more memories flood my mind on this Sunday morning. Oh, how large a character he was and still is although somewhat short in stature.

 

          Statistics say that our modern culture is suffering the results of absentee fathers, but I remember a father that was always there for me. How very blessed I was, and still am.

 

Lord, will you just give my daddy a big hug for me. Thank you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment