Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

FEELING INSUFFICIENT

 

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

 

FEELING INSUFFICIENT

 

2 Cor 2:15-17

15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

 

2 Cor 3:5-6

5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

 

          I don’t like it. It makes me angry to know that there is so much to deal with and to feel so very insufficient for the clear task ahead. Every distraction is a personal affront. Hindrances are viewed as part of a conspiracy to frustrate me. I want to reach the goals I have set for myself and I feel grossly insufficient for the pursuit.

 

          You can hear Paul sigh heavily as he describes ministry as the dividing line between death and life. For one horrible moment he felt personally responsible for the eternal destiny of his hearers. To one he was the fragrance of death unto death but unto another he was the sweet aroma of life unto life. For a moment Paul felt that he was more than a messenger. Every failure was his. Like his master, Paul was not willing that any should perish. He felt insufficient.

 

          In the next chapter, Paul understands that his sufficiency, his ability to be effective and successful, was from God and not some internal personal ability. “Our sufficiency is of God!” he said. “He has made me an able minister of the New Testament.” This is liberating thought. The message and the manner in which it is delivered is mine, but the decisions belong to those who make them.

 

          By the time Paul reaches the twelfth chapter he knows that God works best when we are emptied of self-strength and self-importance. When there is no possibility to claim personal triumph that is when He is victorious.

 

2 Cor 12:9

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

Dear Lord, today I feel weak and insufficient. Now I need your strength which is made perfect in my weakness. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment