Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2021

CATHEDRAL OR CHAPEL

 

Saturday, October 30, 2021

 

CATHEDRAL OR CHAPEL


Eph 3:20-21

20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

 

          I have been meditating on the effect church architecture has on worshippers and vice versa. Immediately upon asking why the ancients spent lavishly on ornate cathedrals, my heart is smitten with the thought that God is worthy of such elaborate structures and just as quickly my mind retreats to a simple building with hand hewn benches. Which would you prefer? Which does God demand?

 

          I am an older soul. I have been forgiven of more sins than some have had time to commit! My relationship with God is of long standing. I do not fear that He will abandon me for He has had many opportunities to do so. I still guard myself lest I abandon Him.

 

          In the great cathedrals, our eyes are directed upward. In the woodland chapels, our heads are bowed low. Both are needed and both are appropriate. I personally bristle at the glass and chrome warehouses of praise but that may simply be a personal choice. The often-married woman at the well was told that those who worship must worship “in spirit and in truth.”

 

          Moses desired to “see” God. Jacob slept at the foot of heaven’s ladder unaware of how near God was. Elijah discovered that God was not represented by earthquakes and fire (1 Kings 19:12) but rather a still small voice.

 

Jer 29:13

13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

 

Dear Lord, in my heart there is an unsatisfied hunger for you. Satisfy that longing in your children today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment