Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

TO BUY A BETTER CASKET!

 

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

 

TO BUY A BETTER CASKET!

 

Luke 12:13-15

13 And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.

14 And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge or a divider over you?

15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

 

           The older brother was entitled to two portions of the inheritance according to Deuteronomy 21:17. Clarke thinks the older brother had actually kept all the inheritance and not just his double part. The younger brother was no less greedy and thought no more of Jesus than to use Him as leverage in his argument.

 

           Jesus speaks to both brothers about the impact of wealth upon the life of a person. “A man's life does not consist in and is not derived from possessing overflowing abundance.”

 

           The parable that follows explains that wealth cannot extend the length of life nor lessen the pain of anxiety and trouble. Abundance caused the successful farmer anxiety and perplexity. It forced him to build a bigger barn because everything was already full. The plans for a carefree future were cut short.

 

Prov 30:8-9

8 Remove far from me falsehood and lies; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me,

9 Lest I be full and deny You and say, Who is the Lord? Or lest I be poor and steal, and so profane the name of my God.

AMP

 

Dear Lord, let my wealth be in my relationship to Thee! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment