Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

THE FUTURE OF THESE DEVOTIONALS


Tuesday, July 28, 2020

THE FUTURE OF THESE DEVOTIONALS

1 Tim 6:12-14
12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 Tim 4:7
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

           I am retiring this Sunday. Many have asked me what will become of “Morning Devotions?” Well, I just don’t know. A few years ago, this began as an experiment which blended some random thoughts sent to our church family. Today’s blog post is number 3,374. It has not always been easy to come up with something that is timely and inspirational 365 days per year. I’ve cheated a few times and published some “classic” devotionals. I might call it quits if I were not addicted to the process. I still might anyway.

           One of our church members pays the price to have these devotionals published in our local “ad” paper called The Shopper.  The result is that I’m careful not to spit on the sidewalk, and I’m easily recognized at Walmart even while wearing a Covid-19 mask. But that is intellectual property which I feel belongs to our church and not to me alone. After retirement, it may be a stumbling block to the new pastor. I don’t want that.

           I may organize the more than three thousand posts into a book. I’ve often thought of writing about some of the surprising things that has happened during my 49 years of ministry. I suppose I will need a lawyer and I’m sure some pseudonyms will need to be used. Some are sad and other things are hysterically funny. These are “outtakes” or scenes that are cut from the film of life.

During WWII there was a popular song by Vera Lynn that highlighted the many departures and deployments of war. I’ve been singing it to myself for a few weeks now. A part of it goes like this …

We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Keep smiling through
Just like you always do
'Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away
So will you please say hello
To the folks that I know
Tell them I won't be long
They'll be happy to know
That as you saw me go
I was singing this song
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe 20 plus years have flown past for us 'young men'! We were right in the middle between the grey heads and young whippersnappers. And now you 'retyre', but new tyres can mean more miles to go!

    ReplyDelete