Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2018

IT PAYS TO STUDY!


IT PAYS TO STUDY!

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

           Last night I went to see a marvelous play called SAMSON but my prejudice almost ruined it for me. You see, Judges 15:19 says that God clave a hollow place in the jaw [jawbone of an ass] from which Samson drank water. However, after checking some trusted resources it seems that the original Hebrew indicated that it could have been a hollowed out place in a rock. I stand corrected – or at least challenged.

           Samson’s life is an interesting – although a bit ragged – parallel of Christ. He had a miraculous birth, lived a life of service, and died a sacrificial death. Certainly his lust for women can’t be compared to the pure and celibate life of Jesus but the similarities are there if you look for them.

           The word “study” in our text above means “to make an earnest effort.” It is so easy to rest on what we have read or what we have been taught for years. Each believer should be an earnest student of the Scriptures so that he or she can rightly divide the word of truth.

Isa 44:3
3 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:

Dear Lord keep me at my desk in the school of Scripture. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment