Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

HOMESICK



HOMESICK!

2 Sam 23:15-16
15 And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!
16 And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out unto the LORD.

           Of the 51 times the word “home” appears in the Authorized Version, none seems to suggest homesickness! I find that curious. Perhaps it is because much of the Old Testament characters spent their time on the move and bunked down in tents. But did they not become attached to a region or a city or a house? We don’t find many sentimental, homesick folks in Scripture.

           King David gives us a glimpse of what might be called homesickness when he yearned for a drink of water from a familiar well in his hometown of Bethlehem. He and his men were bivouacked in the open because it was a time of war. David’s homesick heart remembered the water of Bethlehem and he spoke of it aloud. Loyal men broke through the enemy’s defenses just to draw a portion to satisfy the craving of their King.

           Benjamin Franklin once said: “A little house well filled, a little field well tilled, a little wife well willed, are great riches.” I think this is the essence of home for most of us. Jesus has promised to provide a place for us. One day we will be going home.

John 14:1-3
14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

Dear Father, thank you for preparing a place for me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment