Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

WITH TEARS!


WITH TEARS!


Luke 7:41-48
41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.


          Jesus had been invited into the house of Simon (not Simon Peter but Simon the Pharisee) not as a member of the family nor as an equal but as a guest. He was not given the most common of courtesies such as a basin of water to wash away the muck of the streets. He was not given even a ceremonial kiss on the cheek which was common in greetings. It was clear that Simon was “lording it over” Jesus and had Him in his home only because He was currently very popular because of all the miracles. It was all about Simon!

          “A woman, which was a sinner” is all we know about the lady who knelt at Jesus’ feet. I suspect she came into the house without an invitation only as a follower of Jesus. Because she had no seat nor status she knelt on the floor. Overcome with the emotion of remorse and gratitude she began to kiss the feet of her Forgiver. Tears flowed in such volume that she was able to provide the courtesy not afforded by Simon who looked on with disgust. Because there was no towel she dried Jesus’ feet with the long locks of her hair. It was all she could do for One who had done so much for her.

          How we treat Jesus is an indication of how we see ourselves and Jesus said as much in his address to Simon. While Jesus restrained Himself and spoke like a gentleman, yet Simon knew he had been “told off” in the most embarrassing manner by being compared to this broken and sinful woman. Simon discounted his own sins, which were also many, so he sat as lord in his own house with a condescending demeanor. He felt he needed no forgiveness – and received none. He heard Jesus say to this woman “thy sins are forgiven!”

          Every day I have to check to see if I have invited Jesus into my life as a resource to be used and manipulated or whether I have knelt before Him as a Lord worthy of my service. Do I see Him as disposable or do I put myself at His disposal because He is essential? It is a daily exercise that I recommend for you as well.

Dear Lord, I easily relate to that sinful woman and her tears. Often I melt before you in a pool of tears and today I do so again. Holy – Holy are you Lord God Almighty! Worthy is the Lamb! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment