Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

THE EYES HAVE IT!


THE EYES HAVE IT!


          I sit here this morning suffering an ailment that is typically seen in children. I have conjunctivitis which is commonly known as “pink eye.” It is not fun. The eyes run with water which then turns to a jelly-like substance that crystallizes and shuts the eyelids. The eyes burn and itch but the most troublesome thing, at least for me, is that I contaminate everything I touch. It separates me from others. I couldn’t help but think about the Apostle Paul.

Gal 6:11
11 Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.


          Scholars are not unanimous in their understanding of this verse. Some say it refers to the length of the letter but there are other letters larger written by his scribe, Luke. Some say it referred to an eye disease that forced him to write with his own hand in very large characters. I think this view has some merit based on the following verses in which Paul recounts his encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus.

Acts 26:13
13 At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.


          The light temporarily blinded Paul. This blindness continued until Ananias met Paul and his sight was restored.

Acts 9:8
8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

Acts 9:17-18
17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. 18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.


          Some think Paul suffered some form of difficulty with his eyes even after that. Some speculate that this might have been Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” mentioned in Second Corinthians 12:7. Even if that is so, it did not greatly hinder Paul because God promised to provide Himself as the strength he would need in weakness. Paul’s mission was to deal with spiritual blindness.

Acts 26:18
18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Dear Lord, this affliction is troublesome but temporary. Thank you for being my Strength during this time of weakness and for reminding me of the blindness of the lost world. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment