Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

THE UNWELCOME GUEST!


THE UNWELCOME GUEST!


Ps 51:1-3
51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.


          David had sinned by committing adultery with Bathsheba, his neighbor and the wife of one of his military leaders who was currently deployed in combat. As king, David had taken a break from the conflict to refresh himself at home. A chance glance at a naked lady across the rooftops began a series of thoughts and actions that was more than he could resist. The result was death and a lifetime of trouble.

          Like a body covered in filth, the born-again soul cannot long stand the defilement of sin. It grieves him! Adam Clarke says: Wherever he turns his face, he sees his sin, and through it the eye of an angry God.” There is no place for the sinner’s mind to hide. And that is a good thing because it serves as a constant “preacher” like Nathan the prophet who declared “thou art the man!”

          David begs for mercy and sues for cleansing. He asks for judgment to be put aside upon the merits of the sprinkled sacrificial blood. Which of us are so clean as to play the prophet to others? We hear the voice of Jesus when He says, “ye that are without sin cast the first stone.”

          The only way to rid ourselves of this unwelcome guest called guilt is to be reconciled to the one we have offended. Listen as David requests to be reconciled to God.


Ps 51:9-12
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Dear Lord, we are all as an unclean thing. Guilt, like an unwelcome guest has come to stay. Please drive guilt away with your own mercy and by your grace. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment