Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

IT’S ONLY MONEY!


IT’S ONLY MONEY!


1 Tim 6:9-10
9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Matt 17:27
…go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.


          Have you noticed that Jesus maintained an aloofness and indifference to money? In Matthew, He and Peter were asked regarding their annual Temple tax. Jesus told Peter to wet a hook and take “a piece of money” out of the fish’s mouth. We are never this casual when confronted with taxes due!

          The Bible is consistent in its teaching regarding money. Yes, it is very convenient, but caution must be exercised lest we become too focused upon gathering and hoarding it. When we do that we “pierce ourselves through with many sorrows.” How many people have thought that they would be very happy if only they were rich enough to have no money worries only to find that money itself has become their worry?

          Jesus maintained the same attitude toward money as His Father. We read in the Old Testament that God said: “If I were hungry, I would not tell thee: for the world is mine, and the fulness thereof.” (Ps 50:12) Wouldn’t it be wonderful to be that carefree regarding money?

Prov 30:8-9
8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord ? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

Dear Lord, keep me from both need and greed. Let me be both carefree and confident regarding your ability to supply for me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment