Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

CLOSET OR WINDOW?


CLOSET OR WINDOW?


Matt 6:6
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Dan 6:10
10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime.


          I was talking with a dear friend last night who had recently lost her husband. She mentioned that she enjoys reading these daily devotions. From the digital version you are now reading, one per week is published in a weekly small town newspaper. These are the ones she said she enjoyed.

          She asked me if this was my “quiet time” and I had to think for a moment before answering. I have always thought of a quiet time as closet time. It is a time set aside without distraction. It is a place where one can pray in secret for an open reward. But I found myself answering yes to her question because this is my quietest time of day. It is the time that I commune with God and gain insight from His word. It is a bit strange to me that it has now become so public.

          Daniel made a habit of prayer three times a day. He opened his window to gaze toward Jerusalem the seat of his faith and his home. As a captive, he longed to go home. We too are captives if we believe. This present world is not our final home and often we gaze toward the seat of our faith and our home.

          The day may soon come when any form of our worship is forbidden. May we find the courage to do what Daniel did and worship openly as we did aforetime.

Dear Lord, today I may worship freely. Help me never to take that for granted. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment