Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

WHEN IT’S HARD TO GIVE THANKS!


WHEN IT’S HARD TO GIVE THANKS!


Hab 3:17-18
17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
18 Yet I will rejoice in the Lord , I will joy in the God of my salvation.


          There is a scene in Gone With The Wind in which Scarlet O’Hara stands with fist in air saying: “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again!” It was not a statement of faith but of defiance. Circumstances of life often challenge our giving of thanks.

          Babylon was about to invade the land of Judah. “By the time Babylon was through with the land of Judah, there wouldn't be much of value left (2:17). Buildings would be destroyed, treasures would be plundered, and farms and orchards would be devastated. The economy would fall apart and there would be little to sing about. But God would still be on His throne, working out His divine purposes for His people (Rom 8:28). Habakkuk couldn't rejoice in his circumstances, but he could rejoice in his God!” -- Warren W. Wiersbe.  

          I think of my flock this morning and wish for them all good things. Nevertheless, I know some who are battling cancer. One is hospitalized and another is facing surgery. A neighbor mourns the loss of a son and others are still lonely after the loss of a partner. Still others have a house full of laughter with children and grandchildren all gathered around. It is a patch work of circumstances and through it all there will be Thanksgiving. We do not give thanks because of our circumstances but in spite of them. We rejoice in the stability of God’s character.

Edward Mote wrote one of our best loved hymns. The second verse speaks to our theme today.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

Dear Lord, bless all your children today with a thankful heart. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment