Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

DO WHAT YOU CAN!


DO WHAT YOU CAN!


Mark 14:8
8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying.


          Mark quotes Jesus who describes the breaking of the alabaster box and anointing of His head with spikenard. It was a significant gift which Mark calls “very precious” or costly. Even so it would have been insufficient for the anointing of a dead body for burial. That, says John in chapter nineteen, would require at least one hundred pounds of spices.

          Jesus noted that “she had done what she could” and that is, perhaps, what is lacking in our churches and in society today. Those who might have done what they could didn’t. It is simple math. If the need is for one hundred pounds and I only have one pound, then I may feel overwhelmed by the need. In discouragement, I withhold my gift along with 99 other potential givers. Each of us console ourselves that we can’t take care of the need alone. We feel justified and vindicated. However, the need would have been met if each of us had only done what we could.

          The need of the hour is to do what we can! I cannot cure all the ills in the world but I can apply the ointment that I have. If each of us would do that we might be amazed at the result.

Dear Lord, today let me do what I can. Let my little blend with the gifts of others in order to make a difference. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment