Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

RESILIANCE!


RESILIANCE!


Ps 37:23-24
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord : and he delighteth in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord  upholdeth him with his hand.

Prov 24:16
16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

Heb 12:12
12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

Heb 12:12
12 So then, brace up and reinvigorate and set right your slackened and weakened and drooping hands and strengthen your feeble and palsied and tottering knees.
AMPLIFIED


          Merriam – Webster defines the word “resilience” with two definitions. One has to do with the physical and the other addresses the spiritual and emotional makeup of man. [1] The ability of a body to regain its original size and shape after being compressed, bent, or stretched. (I’m thinking that every mother can give witness to this aspect.) [2] The ability to recover from or adjust to change or misfortune.

          I’m sure that there are those reading this who have experienced “change and misfortune.” Your dreams have been dashed to the earth and now you must decide whether to change your dream or to start again. You have been “compressed, bent, or stretched” and now you must be resilient. You are just not sure you have the reserves to “brace up and reinvigorate” your drooping hands.

          I have an old bible with a red leather cover. If you look carefully you can see the imprint of my hand and thumb worn into the cover from carrying it. It is highlighted, underlined, stained and torn. Inside its pages are written words of wisdom borrowed from a variety of sources. This old bible is now retired from active duty but I still read from it occasionally. Inside the front cover is written a few lines of encouragement called Saint Barton’s ode. It more than adequately defines the word resilience.


St. Barton's ode:
"I am hurt, but I am not slain. I will lie me down and bleed awhile, then I will rise up and fight again."


Isa 41:10
10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.


Dear Lord, often have I been compressed, bent and stretched. Let me bounce back with resilience. Thank you for being my strength and my help. AMEN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment