Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

OUR LAST ENEMY!


OUR LAST ENEMY!
(This is a previously presented Classic)


1 Cor 15:22-26
22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.


Col 2:13-15
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.


          I envision a vast battlefield upon which is scattered the broken remains of vanquished foes. Yonder lies in a heap disappointment, bitterness and despair. The dismembered remains of poverty, prejudice and ignorance lie next to them. Lust, greed and evil ambition come running to the rescue only to be cut down in mid-stride by the Captain of our faith.

          I stand with my sword in hand but it is my Captain who wields the gleaming two-edged sword. It glistens in the sunlight and clangs at the impact with first one enemy and then another. But I see the approach of another enemy. It is the captain of all and he rides a black horse shiny with sweat and with evil, purposeful eyes. It is death and he is coming for me.

          The Captain kicks his horse and sparks fly as his mount claws the earth. He lifts his sword and charges to intercept the last enemy remaining. Death spurs on his mount and, ignoring my Captain, seems determined to vanquish my soul. They clash in an indescribable clatter. Death thrusts his cruel sword into my Captain delivering a mortal blow but my Captain, with his last effort, cuts Death asunder. Christ took the blow meant for me then rose again the third day to make a display of the weakness of Death.


1 Cor 15:55-57
55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh, my Captain, thank you for defeating death and giving me eternal life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment