Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

TREMBLING AT THE WORD!

TREMBLING AT THE WORD!


Isa 66:1-2
66 Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?
2 For all those things hath mine hand made, and those things have been, saith the Lord : but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

Rev 3:8
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.


          It went sliding along the tile floor like a hockey puck. The little boy had flung it like a Frisbee putting just the right English on it to make the pages flare in a feathery flutter. This Word of God had become a boy’s toy. I was horrified and attacked this teaching moment with vigor explaining that through the centuries men had died to make it possible for this copy to be in his hands. He stared at me blankly and I knew that the best I could do was to impress upon this young mind that this kind of treatment was inappropriate for this particular book.

          Some of my colleagues are once again engaged in their annual discussion, some would say argument, regarding the best translation of Scripture. Those who prefer the newer versions refer to the “Old” as if it were growing mold. The inference is that it has no relevance to today’s issues and problems. The claim is that the current translations are more reputable. A conclusion will not be reached here today either for this is a devotional and not a scholarly forum.

          My granddaughter actually brought this into crisp focus for me a year or two ago. She had just returned from youth camp and was pretty “fired up” spiritually. She read a verse from her parallel Bible and then turned to her preacher Grandpa and asked, “Which one is right?” Ah! That is the real issue isn’t it. Which one most accurately captures the mind of God and transmits that thought to the mind of man. Which one most accurately translates the original words? Which one is authoritative and which of the others are more commentary than translation. The jury is still out and the jury is hung!

           The Philadelphian church was commended for keeping the Word. This, of course, meant that they sought to understand it and to obey it. It did not mean that they kept it locked safely in some vault. The Bible is referred to as a “mirror” (James 1:22-24). The mirror does not make us ugly; it only reveals our ugliness. We can either make adjustments to our appearance or we can edit the Word. I am amazed at how much editing has gone on in recent years.

James 1:24-25
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Dear Lord, let me strive to know your heart and your mind. Help me to obey your precepts that I may be blessed. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment