Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

TOO MUCH ADVICE!

TOO MUCH ADVICE!


Ps 119:99
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

Deut 4:5-6
5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the Lord  my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.
6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

Isa 30:21
21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.


The world is full of experts and there is no lack of advisors. There seems to be, however, a lack of wisdom. The dictionary definition of a quandary is to be in a state of perplexity or doubt. I’ve been in a quandary many times surrounded by a multitude of counselors. Is there a sure reservoir of wisdom? It there a safe haven for decision making? The Psalmist recommends the Word of God.

The art of meditation is lost, I think, to technology. There is no quietness or solitude because every question, no matter how deep or puzzling has an immediate answer waiting at the tip of our thumbs. I enjoy a cup of coffee on the front porch swing with the mist still on the roses and the birds praising God for their daily food. Too often there is no time for it.

The Hebrew word for meditation indicates not only reflection but devotion. The word means to muse, contemplate, ponder and even to plan. The Word gives us an advantage over our enemies, our teachers and the sages. Because the Bible is a living book empowered by a living Spirit, it speaks to me personally. It affects me mentally, emotionally and spiritually. The Psalmist gives us the best commentary in the following portion.

Ps 119:103-105
103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Dear Lord, as I make time to meditate upon your Word and your ways, make me wise in a confusing world. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment