Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

AN OFFERING OF WORDS!

AN OFFERING OF WORDS!

Hos 14:1-2
14:1 O Israel, return unto the LORD thy God; for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity.
2 Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips.

           This verse has always intrigued me because I have often experienced people try to talk their way out of a difficult situation. When we are caught in an uncomfortable situation we will offer excuses and reasons why things aren’t as they should be. We even hire, at great expense, professional talkers called lawyers to do our talking for us. Words are very important. Hosea actually counsels us to take words when we turn to the Lord. I picture them in a bundle, carried carefully and placed before the Lord as a gift.

           The Old Testament sacrifices were bloody and costly. Hosea suggests that these be replaced with words. When the words come from the heart they are precious and effective. These words must include confession of sins and supplication for favors. The phrase “calves of our lips” do not refer to the lips themselves but to the sacrifice of words.

Ps 69:30-31
30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
31 This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that hath horns and hoofs.

Heb 13:15
15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Ps 19:14
14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Come to Jesus this morning and take with you words!

Dear Lord, place a guard at the gate of my mouth and let my words be pure and acceptable to you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment