Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

NO FRUIT WITHOUT ROOT!

NO FRUIT WITHOUT ROOT!

Eph 3:14-19
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

           George Gallup Jr., founder of the famed Gallup research organization, said: “We revere the Bible, but don’t read it. We believe the Ten Commandments to be valid rules for living, although we can’t name them!” We want the fruits of religion without the commitment.

           I am witnessing once again what I see as an “involvement drift” or a “commitment crash.” On a rotating schedule, various families will fade from church and religion. If you ask them, they will declare their faithfulness with stubborn ferocity. I hesitate to ask them regarding their backsliding because it only gives them one more reason to fade further. Every now and again they will return and repent for awhile only to revert to a faded faith at a later time. Lazy, self-focused religion is not a modern phenomenon although I think we have refined it to an art. Paul warned young Timothy that this day would come.

2 Tim 4:3-4
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

           Lacking the knowledge of an authoritative word from God, the standard of right and wrong becomes whatever one thinks. I sat recently in a Bible study in which a lady spewed forth some truly twisted views prefaced by the words “I think.” If what I think does not align with the revealed and inspired Word of God then I need to adjust my thinking. We have become simply too lazy to study to show ourselves approved unto God.

Matt 13:20-22
20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Dear Lord, challenge my thinking and bring it in line with your Word. Let me sink my roots deep so that I may be fruitful in all things. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment