Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

BLESSING AFTER BLESSING!

BLESSING AFTER BLESSING!

Ps 40:5 KJV
5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

          Two nights ago as I pillowed my head I began my go-to-sleep prayer with a list of complaints. I am always careful in complaining to a God of benevolence and love but it had been a miserable week and a half.

 First, someone had roared through a red light and smashed in the driver’s side door on my eleven-year-old truck ending a long and satisfying relationship that superseded some human relationships. The truck was totaled forcing me to invest in another and assume a mortgage which would not have been necessary without the unwelcome encounter. I wanted to ask God why but found myself thanking Him that I was not injured and that I had quickly found a replacement at a payment I could handle. Bad news was trumped by a blessing!

          Then there is this ongoing snow storm that is so rare in my part of the world. It cancelled church services and forced a retreat by the fire that was unplanned. I told God I was too busy for this. Then I began to thank him for a rest I probably needed and the time to read a good book and share some conversation with my wife. Inconvenience had again been trumped by blessing!

          Soon I had stopped listing troubles and complaints and I drifted off to sleep thanking God only for the many blessings in my life. Like our scripture above, they are more than can be numbered. I remember an old song sung by Evangelist Tommy Stone as he sat at the piano. I think it is simply called “Blessing after blessing” and it goes something like this.

Blessin’ after blessin’ keeps on following me…
Since I met my Jesus – my life’s been oh, so sweet.
I used to be oh, so sad – but now I’m free and glad.
Blessin’ after blessin’ keeps on following me!

Ps 139:14 KJV
…marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Dear Lord, your blessings overtake me. They are more than can be numbered. Thank you that any list of complaints I might have is soon overcome by counting blessings. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment