Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2024

AMAZING GRACE

 

Thursday, May 16, 2024

 

AMAZING GRACE

 

Eph 2:5-9

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened [caused the dead to live] us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7 That in the ages to come he might shew [put on display] the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

 

          Amazing grace was written by John Newton, a slaver turned Anglican priest. It is arguably the most known and enduring hymn of Christendom. Most hymnals only contain four of the THIRTEEN verses leaving out one of my favorites which is verse five.

 

My conscience owned and felt the guilt,

And plunged me in despair;

I saw my sins His blood had shed,

And helped to nail Him there.

 

          A fun thing to do with the words is to change the tune. It has been sung to the theme of Gilligan’s Island. Okay, now you can’t get that out of your head, can you? So, try “House of the Rising Sun.” The point is that no matter the tune, the truth is clear. “Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved.”

 

          My personal favorite is Scottish bagpipes. Perhaps it is the drone, or groan, of the pipes that gives it soul.

 

Dear Lord, thank you for your Amazing Grace. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment