Pages

Saturday, September 16, 2023

OUR NEED FOR PEACE

 

Saturday, September 16, 2023

 

OUR NEED FOR PEACE

 

1 Chron 22:8-10

8 But the word of the Lord came to me [David], saying, Thou hast shed blood abundantly, and hast made great wars: thou shalt not build an house unto my name, because thou hast shed much blood upon the earth in my sight.

9 Behold, a son shall be born to thee, who shall be a man of rest; and I will give him rest from all his enemies round about: for his name shall be [Shelomoh, “peaceful”] Solomon, and I will give peace and quietness unto Israel in his days.

10 He shall build an house for my name; and he shall be my son, and I will be his father; and I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel for ever. KJV

 

          David was a man of war with a heart of peace. His one great desire was to build the Temple, a permanent and glorious structure which would replace the portable Tabernacle. His life was a great tool in the hands of God, but his son would finish.

 

          As we have seen, Solomon’s very name means “peaceful.” He begins in great humility requesting only wisdom from the Lord. We remember him for his wisdom, but God knows him as peaceful.

 

          Our world is a hateful place and full of angry people. Oh, how we need peace. Jesus foresaw this when he warned that “nation shall rise against nation” (Matthew 24:7). But where shall peace be found?

 

Isa 32:17

17 And the work [ma ‘aseh or activity] of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance [security] forever.

 

Lord, let us be people of peace by doing the deeds of righteousness. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment