Pages

Monday, December 12, 2022

SHOW AND TELL

 

Monday, December 12, 2022

 

SHOW AND TELL

 

Ps 16:11

11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

 

Matt 4:19-20

19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.

 

          The original word for “shew” in Psalm 16 is yada’ which has various meanings including “to make me know.”  When Jesus said that he would “make you” fishers of men he used the word poieo which also has a variety of meanings, but the general idea is to re-fashion one thing into something else.

 

          Unless a teacher has an extraordinary command of language, didactic teaching alone will not transform ignorance into intelligence or change ineptitude into skill.

 

          Learning requires a place where theory can be practiced and perfected. Jesus knew that becoming a fisher of men would require following. The word “follow” required two Greek words. One meant come and the other follow. Teaching requires an investment. A significant part of the teacher is lost to the student. Similarly, learning requires the abandonment of other activities so that the learner may focus on the lessons to be learned. The best learning is done through doing as well as thinking.

 

          Adam Clarke gives clarity to Job 42:5. “I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. [I have heard of thee] I have now such a discovery of thee as I have never had before. I have only heard of thee by tradition, or from imperfect information; now the eye of my mind clearly perceives thee; and in seeing thee, I see myself; for the light that discovers thy glory and excellence, discovers my meanness and vileness.”

(from Adam Clarke's Commentary, Electronic Database. Copyright © 1996, 2003, 2005, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

 

Dear Lord, in my teaching let me lose something of myself and in my learning may I truly change. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment