Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2022

DID MARY SING TO BABY JESUS?

 

Saturday, December 10, 2022

 

DID MARY SING TO BABY JESUS?

 

Luke 1:46-55

46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.

50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation.

51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.

52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree.

53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

54 He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;

55 As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever.

 

          Mothers instinctively sing lullabies to their babies. Perhaps it is a wordless humming in soothing tones, or some made-up song intended to calm a fretful infant. I think it is reasonable to assume that Mary might have chosen one of the Psalms or a common lullaby.

 

          Perhaps it is presumptuous to think that The Magnificat was sung but not beyond the realm of possibility.

 

          The word “peace” is found 429 times in the Bible. Many times, we see it in the Psalms which is literally a book of hymns. Some of the words of Psalm 5 have been put to music and are familiar to many of us. “O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.”

 

          There is a haunting song by Barlow Girl, a lady’s trio, called Hallelujah (Light Has Come) that has become a favorite of mine. Here are the lyrics.

 

Hmmm my Baby

Heaven sent You to me

All the world's been praying

Who will save

But who am I

That here tonight

I hold the One

Who’ll bring us life

 

[Chorus]

Hallelujah!

We’ve been found

A Child is born

To save us now, Jesus

Hallelujah!

Light has come

A Savior who will set us free

A Promise for those who believe

Do you hear the angels

Sing for You, my Baby

Men and kings have come to

Bow to You

But here in my arms

So close to me

The Son of God

Now all can see

 

[Chorus]

Hallelujah!

We’ve been found

A Child is born to save us now, Jesus

Halleluiah!

Light has come

A Savior set us free

 

So praise to God on high

He has heard our cry

He has heard our cry

 

Hallelujah!

We’ve been found

 

[Chorus]

Hallelujah!

We’ve been found

A Child is born to save us now, Jesus

Halleluiah!

Light has come

A Savior who will set us free

A Promise for those who believe

Hmmm my Baby

 

Dear Lord, grant peace to those who are troubled, liberty to the captive, and calm to the anxious. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment