Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

DAY AND NIGHT!

 

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

 

DAY AND NIGHT!

 

Ps 42:7-8

7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.

8 Yet the Lord will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.

 

           Too many years ago, I opened and closed the broadcast day for a local radio station. I learned that the Federal Communication Commission allowed a brief period of time to religious groups at both ends of the day. In the morning I provided what I hoped would be inspiration as the farmers gathered eggs. At night I played soft Christian music while I read scripture. I called that segment Midnight Melodies. I woke you up and put you to sleep. My theme verse for the night songs was Psalm 42:8. God’s loving kindness in the daytime and His presence at night is still a grand theme.

 

           Like Washington Irving, I fear that some of the good old things are beginning to fade. I miss the respect young people used to grant to the elderly. Now, all too often, their words are biting and their actions harsh and selfish. I see too much commotion and too little contemplation. There is too much sensuality and too little spirituality.

 

           When I rise early to keep company with pain, it is a comfort to know that God is awake as well. I can still pray and sing in the night seasons. Dr. Barnes says: “The word "daytime" here refers evidently to prosperity; and the expectation of the psalmist was that a time of prosperity would return; that he might hope for better days; that the loving-kindness of God would again be manifested to him. He did not wholly despair. He expected to see better times.”

 

Acts 16:25

25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

 

I hear the savior say

Thy strength indeed is small

Child of weakness, watch and pray

Find in me thine all in all

 

Jesus paid it all, all to him I owe

Sin had left a crimson stain

He washed it white as snow

 

Dear Lord, thank you for rising early with me. Strengthen me for the day ahead. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment