Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2016

WHEN SHALL I APPEAR BEFORE GOD



WHEN SHALL I APPEAR BEFORE GOD?

Ps 42:2
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?

           What a melancholic question David asked! Yet, I suspect, all of us have asked this question either with anticipation or a shudder. This question is asked by the one who has caught a glimpse of the end of the journey. He sees the sights and hears the sounds of his destination. He knows enough to know he has an appointment with God.

           The traveler whose soul is not spiritual, who wishes this earth to be eternal, and himself eternal on it, has no longing after God (Adam Clarke). Instead there is a dread when thinking about that day. There is a “certain fearful looking for of judgment.” (Hebrews 10:27)

           Warren Wiersbe said: “Memory can be either a blessed medicine for the troubled heart or it can open new wounds and keep the pain fresh.” The psalmist, in verse 4, pours out his heart before God – both good and bad tumble forth like water from a pitcher. He pleads with the Lord to set him free.

           The psalmist ends his muse with a confident thought. I once had a nightly radio devotional which I closed with this following verse: “Yet the Lord  will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.” Ps 42:8

Job 19:25-26
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Dear Lord, thank you for removing the sting of death and replacing it with songs in the night! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment