Pages

Monday, December 12, 2016

INSTALLING CHRISTMAS



INSTALLING CHRISTMAS!

Luke 2:6-7
6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

           It’s Christmas time again and homes all over the neighborhood are decorated in honor of the Christ child – except for ours. I could, I guess, get one of those laser light things that casts dancing, multi-colored polka dots all over your house, your neighbor’s house and a few passing airplanes. Anyway, I am a traditionalist.

           I don’t do ladders anymore so lights on the roof will be installed by someone younger and more bouncy when he falls. Growing older is frustrating but it has its perks. I discovered that I’m not very good at assembling angels and reindeer either. Tab A into slot B is not something I have ever been good at but, when the Herald Angel comes with zip ties, I know I’m in trouble.

           My first major accomplishment is the assembly and set up of the nativity scene. I only received one splinter! I told my wife I was glad that Jesus was born in a stable because I don’t think I could assemble a king’s palace. There is something simple and appropriate about our nativity scene.

           Thankfully, Mary and Joseph did not have to deal with all the discomforts of Christmas! All Mary had to do was to ride a donkey from Nazareth to Bethlehem which was a four to six day journey over rough roads with wild animals and robbers. No problem for a young woman who was ready to deliver her baby! At least they didn’t have to assemble an angel. God sent one already put together.

           I’m kidding, of course. Mary and Joseph suffered greatly to produce Christmas. All I have to do is install it.

Dear Lord, help me to think more clearly and thankfully about this hectic and difficult season. Thank you for the unspeakable gift of Jesus. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment