Pages

Monday, November 21, 2016

ITS SWEET



IT’S SWEET!

Eccl 5:12
12 The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.

           Perhaps you’ve noticed that this is actually an afternoon devotional instead of a morning devotion. Why? Because I actually slept seven hours and fifty-one minutes last night! That is a bit of a record for me and it was thoroughly enjoyable. If you asked me why I don’t sleep much I can only say that I usually don’t sleep well. I have no answer for that either. When I awoke this morning I had an enjoyable conversation with my wife while enjoying the warmth of the fireplace. It was sweet.

           Solomon tells us that sleep comes to the laboring man because his work is healthy exercise. He may have little or much but the key to a good night’s sleep seems to be work.

           Solomon then alludes to the possibility that a wealthy man may not be able to sleep for worrying about his wealth. The late Joe Louis, world heavyweight boxing champion, used to say, "I don't like money actually, but it quiets my nerves." But Solomon said that possessing wealth is no guarantee that your nerves will be calm and your sleep sound.

1 Tim 6:8
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Father, Thank you for the sweet gift of a good night’s sleep. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment